Every year, a group of my friends gather for a holiday cookie bake-off. And it's serious business. We all pile our plates high with each other's creations, and then out come the scorecards. We judge on texture, flavor, and overall appearance. The stakes are high, and the rewards of coming out on top are sweet.
I'd been wanting to try my hand at these Hot Chocolate cookies from the blog Like Mother Like Daugher for quite some time, and last year's competition provided the perfect opportunity. They did not disappoint. In fact, I plan on making them again this year for friends and family.
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 24-25 large marshmallows
- 1 large chocolate bar
1. Melt together your butter and chocolate chips in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Allow chocolate to cool for 15 minutes.
3. in a large bowl combine your dry ingredients (Your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt) Set aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl cream together your brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
5. Add your slightly cooled, melted chocolate mixture to your egg mixture and stir until combined.
6. Slowly add in your dry ingredients while stirring until mixed.
7. Cover your bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours (The dough is like a thick cake batter before refrigerated, so you'll need it to firm up a good amount).
8. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
9.Roll your dough into 1 1/2 -2 inch cookie dough balls and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
10. Bake for 10 minutes, until cookies start to crack.
11. Meanwhile, cut your marshmallows in half and cut your chocolate into 1/2 inch pieces (I cut each piece from the bar into 3 pieces).
12. Remove from oven and top each cookie with a piece of chocolate and marshmallow and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
13. Sprinkle grated chocolate over the top of your marshmallows if desired.
To celebrate holiday baking season, I'm giving away one set of recipe cards to a lucky winner. Just comment below with your favorite holiday cookie (and recipe if you like!) by December 17th at midnight and I'll choose a random winner.